Sunday, January 15, 2017

Day 3 Part 2 - Coach Fortran to the Rescue!

<<Quick Technical Note: I apologize for the delays in posts. I had some strange computer problems that put me way behind schedule. So I am trying to get caught up as quick as possible! Thanks for your patience and understanding>>

On the way back to the hotel, I grabbed a yummy breakfast sandwich and a fresh coffee. I got to the room and restarted my day. I had a little time to kill so I took my time to ensure my next attack would have a chance at success. So I slowly got ready again, took a Taxi back to the convention center and spent a few minutes in the convention center looking at cool toys and decide to take some video that I could share with you.
Regarding the price? It falls under, if you have to ask...you can't afford it ;-)

Onto my next session. 'What Drives Winning: Building Character Gets Results. Here's How' Presenters Becky Burleigh and Brett Ledbetter were tasked with teaching the audience about culture and character. I was really looking forward to it for two reasons. First Becky is a great speaker and I am familiar with her positive attitude. Second, club and team culture is something that I have been focusing on for New Scotland Soccer Club. We are definitely getting there with much work still to be done. So let's go learn from the experts. Well I guess everyone else at the convention had the same idea! When I went through the double doors to the double sized lecture room........standing room only!! As I glanced around the room to see where I was going to stand (or sit on the floor like others), I saw Coach Rod Fortran from NSSC. We nodded our hello's from across the room and I began walking the perimeter to see what I was going to do. I knew I couldn't stand for the entire hour, and I knew that sitting on the floor would be awful for my knee. Just then......"Prince!" Coach Fortran was beckoning me to come to him front and center of the room. Two coaches just up and walked out right next to him and he motioned me to hurry. Maybe the best seats in the house!! A great combination play to penetrate the middle of the field!! Thanks Coach!

This session may be the highlight of the convention! Brett Ledbetter is a sports psychologist who works with top pro teams and athletes. Even though Basketball is his sport, he filled the audience with outstanding stories, observations and techniques on how (and who) to develop into winning leaders. Highlight statements include:

  • Ask players why?
  • Behavior is how you act, Character is who you are
  • The power of the coach to affect the team
  • "Failure doesn't exist" and other great quotes and attitude from a young Kobe Bryant
  • Family - Forget about me, I love you and love is sacrifice
  • Great leaders lead moment to moment
Brett and Becky did a great job of keeping the audience focused using little exercises and mini group discussions. Very informative and very enjoyable! Best thing that I took away from it was a team activity.....Rock, Paper, Scissors team tournament!! Not sure if it right for a U10 team (maybe we'll try) but I watched it work pure magic with a college level girls team! So I'll stash it away for later use.

Thanks again, Coach Fortran,  for looking out for one of your own!!


Prince Knight

New York State Director - Just 4 Keepers, USA
Cell: (518)-857-2969
Just4Keepers
World Class Gloves & Goalkeeping Apparel with Prices that Keep the Family Budget in Mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment