Sunday, January 17, 2016

Day 5 - The Grand Finale

First, let me thank all of you who have taken a few moments out of your days to read my Blog and share some of my experiences from the convention. I tried to share with everyone the most pertinent information I could while not diluting them with every single detail and lesson learned. I hope that a few of you were able to take away some thoughts and it gave you some encouragement to improve as player, or a coach or a player's parent or club manager. That is my ultimate goal for writing this Blog and I have had a great time writing it! So with that...........

The Last Day!!

To be 100% honest, I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning. The very busy week was most certainly catching up with me. When that alarm went off, I struggled to not hit the snooze...more than twice ;-). Then I began to focus. Today was the last day and the day of the extra session I signed up for, Meulensteen Method: 200 Level Course "Training the Difference: Developing Creative and Confident Players" with Rene Meulensteen, Former First Team Manchester United Coach and  Erwin van Elst, President, SportPartnersUSA - Meulensteen North America. I mean, Rene Meulensteen worked side by side with Sir Alex Furgeson  and coached players like Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Rinaldo!!!

So that got some pep in my step and off I scrambled to get ready, check out of the hotel and grab some coffee. 

The five hour session was all that I had hoped for. It would realistically take me 4 hours to go over everything we covered in two lectures and two field sessions. In summary, the Meulensteen Method is all about a player development curriculum based on age and developmental stage. It reinforces the importance of basic skills at the youngest ages, but also suppliments that with a philosphy of adding the building blocks of creativity. The curriculum accomplishes this through reinforcing a certain type of coaching style, the repetition of skill building activities and the freedom of letting the kids play!!! I was really excited about everything I was hearing in the lecture and then saw some very talented U10 and U12 boys learning from the activities.


I will list a few very important key points about this ideology for everyone's consideration:

  • Identifying, developing and building successful players and teams
  • A four piece puzzle to the player's development
    • Technical, tactical, mental and physical
    • All aspects have overlapping priorities depending on the player's age and skill level
  • Providing skill moves at an early age for building blocks to use in creative play
  • Kids respond to the environment that coaches create
  • Constant positive coaching and reinforcement during training
  • Training guidelines include:
    • Purpose
    • Challenge
    • Quality <> Intensity (Directly related, adjust for each)
    • Fun
  • Meulensteen said the art of coaching included
    • Don't talk too much
    • No negative coaching (e.g. you did that play wrong!)
    • No shouting or coaching from the sidelines
    • Don't coach failure, recognize success
  • Develop a CULTURE for the player, the team and/or the club

There's that word again.....culture.... three of the five days at this convention, I have heard world leading experts overstate the importance of culture when talking about soccer programs and players. I couldn't agree more!! But what I need to figure out is am I providing that culture to my players? Am I creating the correct culture for my J4K goalkeepers? Am I leading the NSSC in making sure our culture is one that truly places development of the player first? And is it a culture that is building creative and confident players? Not just a winning mentality? 

I promise to think of all of those things and use my new found knowledge from Rene Meulensteen to make sure I am in fact, creating the best possible culture for all of the players that I affect.


Much to reflect on as I headed back to the hotel, grabbed my bags and had some lunch before I made my way to the train station. I guess one thing I didn't think about was how was I going to carry all of my stuff back home???? :-)

So there you have it!! Another awesome NSCAA Convention!!! I definitely enjoyed myself and absorbed a great deal of information. Of course I could have done without the cold and the cold weather, but all in all a very positive experience. I certainly hope I don't have to deal with the cold weather when I go to next year's convention....it's in Los Angeles!!! You coming along????

 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment