Thursday, January 14, 2016

Day 2 - Must press on!!!!

So as fate would have it, the cold came on full force last night and I got a very late start to Day 2!! But after some hot tea, some medicine, a hot shower and some breakfast, I was good enough to press on. After all, it's not every day you have the chance to see some of the world's greatest coaches in action all under one roof!!

While the big event for most people today was the 2016 MLS Superdraft, I tend to avoid the mayhem since I don't really know anyone who might be drafted. Instead I head to my first field session today was watching "Principles of Attacking" Pekka Clewer, Head Coordinator of Coaching Education, Finland FA & Tommi Kautonen, Finnish FA. Although the very strong accent made it difficult to understand everything he was telling the players, the language of soccer is universal and I could see the sessions he was developing and the attacking concepts he was reinforcing with the players. Quick decisions, can you play forward first, can you pass and then make the correct run to receive the ball back and score...? All items I will look to reinforce with my U17 Boys team this spring.

Next up was a classroom clinic, "Performance Analysis to Enhance Technical Development" with Ian Donnelly, Managing Director, Performance Innovation Ltd. Basically, it was how to use video and other technology to address performance analysis. Some very interesting perspectives and use of software to make game and player evaluation easier and more meaningful. Did you know that the human capability for recalling a specific event is only about 40% accurate at best!?!?!? That's why video is and should be used at every level of the game. Coach Knight used video last year with the U16 Boys to evaluate their shooting technique which proved very beneficial for many players. I also video most of my Just4Keepers training sessions so I can watch them later to evaluate not only the players, but myself and the training session. So make sure to be on the look out for more use of video to help all of our development.

After a mad dash down the halls of the Baltimore Convention Center, I was getting ready for one of my highlights of this year's convention.... "All In" Chester Elton, Author, Co-Founder & President, The Culture Works. Why was this a highlight for me, when it didn't have to directly deal with soccer? Well, this was a leadership presentation and if you didn't already know, I LOVE watching great leadership presenters discuss the finer points of leading teams in both business management and coaching. I have to say that Mr. Elton did not disappoint!! He kept us all engaged and energetic, which in turn enabled us to focus and buy into the culture examples he was sharing with us. Those three "E's" were something that I believe I have always had in my coaching style. Now it's time to take it to the next level to help my players and teams achieve their goals!!

Alright, so back to true soccer with a field session, "Effective and Efficient Goalkeeping in The Modern Game" with Phil Wheddon, Head Women's Coach, Director, Syracuse University! J4K Goalies watch out!!! Coach Wheddon gave me a bunch of ideas and concepts, to go along with a few new activities to work into our programs!! It was very interesting to see some of the differences in caching proper technique. Some of the things this top level coach was showing a group of 3 U14 boy goalkeepers, were in contradiction to what Coach Tony DiCicco has taught us over the years. It just goes to show that the position of goalkeeping is continually evolving and as coaches, we must evolve right along. For example, for years coaches have asked keepers to exaggerate the prep step of a collapse dive at an angle.... Coach Wheddon says that the game is too fast for that these days and it is more important to quickly shift your foot in the direction you wish to dive. I'm gonna have to think about that one and for all of my keepers out there....you do the same.

I then went to the grand opening of the Exhibitors Hall. Gigantic!!! Probably twice as large as last year's convention. I decided I would take a quick walk through the entire venue, collect a few freebies and not get involved in any lengthy discussions. There should be plenty of time to do that tomorrow and Saturday. Besides it was time to get some more medicine and some dinner. Hopefully a good night's rest will get me well prepared for tomorrow's FULL schedule!!! 

Won't you join me for the recap???
  



No comments:

Post a Comment