Friday, January 15, 2016

Day 3 - Adapt and you will be rewarded.

Evening Folks,

Caution!! Grab a cup of coffee, glass of wine or a beer, whatever your preference, because this will be a long entry!!! I thank you in advance for following along on my journey at the 2016 NSCAA Coaches Convention.

First off, a good night's rest had me feeling just a bit better, still not top form, but up on time at least to tackle a full day's schedule. Unfortunately, the day started with a cold shower because there was no hot water!! I guess all of the coaches were looking to make the 9am sessions and all got up at the same time :-). So once again, some hot tea, medicine and some breakfast set me up for my seven minute walk to the convention center. Breakfast however, was not that simple! Once again the hotel bakery was a popular breakfast spot and the line was out the door!! Although I was on time, a wait in that line would make me late.... so I opted for a change and stopped somewhere along the way.

Up first on the list was my second required class for my Small Sided Games special topics diploma, Introduction to NSCAA Small Sided Games - 4v4, 7v7, and 9v9 with Ian Barker, Director of Coach Education, NSCAA, David Newbery, eLearning Coordinator, and NSCAA Mark Spiegel, Founder, Make Your Own Ball Day. Very interesting presentation and discussions regarding the new USSF mandate of 7v7 for U10 and 9 v 9 for U12 players. Yes, we talked about field size and goal size, but the idea behind these discussions was coaching objectives regarding these small sided games. It was nice to be one of the coaches who was able to raise their hand when asked, "Is your club ready for the mandate?" However, the league that the New Scotland Soccer Club plays in is the CDYSL. The CDYSL is still playing 8 v 8 for U12. So we will have to wait and see what transpires. No worries though, CDYSL League Operations Director, Italo Carcich  was sitting two rows behind me, so I am sure he is on top of things!!

Now, I was originally headed to listen to Carlos Menjivar, on technical training for U11 - U13, but when I arrived at the double sized classroom, it was overflowing with coaches!! Standing room only and spilling out into the halls. Now all good coaches know that in order to be successful, you have to be able and willing to change on the fly.....so I did. I quickly went down the hall to catch another leadership presentation "LEADERSHIP: Knowing What It Takes" with Joe Cummings, Founder and President, Manage Your Soccer Club, Amanda Duffy, General Manager, Louisville City FC and Thom Meredith, Executive Director, Connecticut Junior Soccer Association. Now as the president of the New Scotland Soccer Club, Inc., I was interested in their perspectives on leadership and what it takes to manage a soccer club. Now of course NSSC is not an MLS organization, nor a for profit premier club, but it seems that some of the leadership traits should overlap, right? They discussed the differences between 'Transactional' vs. 'Transformational' leadership and talked about vision, ownership, empowerment, responsibility and culture. The latter was something importantly stressed by yesterday's speaker,  Chester Elton. They continued with reinforcing ideas of 'ready to change', 'be a self assesor' and the importance of mentors. All of which were very thoughtful insights to managing a club. I will be thinking on some of these items and try to be the best leader I can for NSSC.

Time for lunch. I went to a local place called Potbelly Sandwich Shop down a block or two and had a nice toasted sandwich while listening to a local jazz guitarists. It was a nice break!!

Next, running back to my next required class Top Ten Activities to Coach 7v7 and 9v9"
Vince Ganzberg, Assistant Director of Coaching, NSCAA, Ian Mulliner, Technical Director, Massachusetts Youth Soccer, David Newbery, eLearning Coordinator, NSCAA. We got back to soccer talk! Further going through coaching objectives in the 7v7 and 9v9 formations and principles of play. I encourage every coach out there to make sure they understand the fundamentals of the principles of play for both attack and defense, in order to make sure that they incorporate them into their coaching sessions. What was most interesting was something I have heard several times before, that the club's best and most qualified coaches should be at the younger levels. Something that very few clubs practice. I am pleased to say that NSSC is beginning to adopt that philosophy and will look forward to continued improvement over the years.

Finally, time for a field session!!! "Transition To Defending and How It Can Dictate The Tempo of A Match" Brad Friedel, Head Coach, U-19 USMNT. Now even though Brad was presenting a field players topic, he is a world renowned goalkeeper, so I was anxious to hear his views on coaching a full team. But hang on!!!! As we all gathered around the mini field, an announcement was made that Brad would not be able to do the session! Although dissapointed, we were rewarded with a more than effective substitute in Stuart Pearce Former Premier League Manager. He took the crowd through a progressive training session on defensive formations and how to use them to manage the game. He stressed communication, quick movements and purposeful passes to make sure the intended outcome was achieved.  I always ask my players, "What's the score", "How much time is left", "What outcome do we need"? They should take these things into consideration while making their decisions on the field. Just another thing to worry about...... and you thought soccer was an easy game ;-)



 With classroom and field sessions done for the day, I decided to head over to the job fair (No worries everyone, I don't think Coach Knight is going anywhere). But I wanted to see what it was all about and if the dream job was out there for me. Sadly, the job fair was a new item for the convention this year and it wasn't well attended. Maybe a dozen places looking for coaches and most of them were the big organizations like NY Redbulls and Lonestar FC. So I decided to head back to the exhibitor hall for a more in depth interaction with the vendors. Here I saw some of the crazy contraptions everyone is inventing to help our young soccer players become great. Re-bounders, trainers, conditioning equipment, high tech software tracking and video analysis just to name a few. There were so many soccer tour companies there as well. Bring your team to Europe, Costa Rica, England and even Trinidad and Tobago!!!  Maybe someday, maybe someday! I made a few purchases, had some great talks with a few vendors as I was on a mission for some J4K goalies and their parents, all with good success!

My last purchases were two books by D.C. Freedman. Now, learn more by clicking on the link for his name, but in summary, he's a soccer journalist that has created a novel series about a young American boy playing soccer in England. The novels are aimed at the young readers but I have heard that adults can't put it down either. I can't wait to dive into them! Here's the good part! I was making small talk with the lady who sold me the books. From a good friend who posted me on FB, I knew that D.C. and Brad Friedel were supposed to be at the convention, but I also knew that Brad had to cancel one of his sessions today. She informed me that not only were they both here, but they were going to be doing a book signing upstairs at five o'clock!! It was 4:45pm....so off I ran. Sure enough I caught the last bit of Brad's discussion on the philosophy of youth soccer, including goalkeeping. Then I was one of the first few in line for the signing!!! I am really looking forward to reading these books and sharing them with some of the young kids I coach.
























At that point, my day was done. No more classes or sessions to attend and the exhibitor hall was closed up for the evening. I was well rewarded for adapting to the day's challenges. I took my bounty, headed back to the hotel and immediately opened the computer so I could share with all of you!

Now it's time for dinner and maybe a drink....but I think I know what my bedtime story will be! Can't wait!!!!!!

Talk to you all tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment